The selfie (form of self-presentation and expression) phenomenon has transformed our social culture. It is an interpersonal communication where both man and woman convey an image about him or herself to another person. Today, people post selfies to social media sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
The question is:
What really motivates people to post selfies?
Self-presentation enables a person to influence the perception of themselves, by others. And so, people present themselves, through their new hairstyles, outfit choices, and with branded accessories to express themselves.
Here’s why selfies are popular
“Looking-glass self” is a psychological concept by the Sociologist Charles Cooley who has determined that people love to grow from their social interactions with others–– based on how others perceive them. In simple words, when people post selfies on social media, they tend to monitor the number of comments and likes they get on each photo. It helps to boost self-image and self-esteem, especially in girls and women.
To convey happiness
The youth of today thinks that posting selfies convey happiness, which serves as a reflection of their lives. A survey of teenage girls conducted, 65% said that posting selfies boosts their confidence.
They tend not to post selfies when they feel upset or sad and only want to showcase the best parts of their lives.
Furthermore, millennial women more want to post selfies when they look physically attractive–– to create an image of beauty.
To enhance self-esteem
Self-esteem (describe a person’s overall sense of personal value) can be seen as a motivation for posting selfies. A huge number of ‘likes and comments’ can positively impact a person’s self-esteem, whereas, a lack of ‘likes’ can negatively impact it.
10 Best Selfie Ideas That Will Definitely Make A Person Look GOOD
1. Awesome background–– Look for a unique background — and then snap away!
2. Shoot with the back camera––the back camera has better MP– it allows to have better and sharper photo resolution.
3. Great lighting is important––Avoid bad lightening, otherwise, pictures will look dull and grainy.
4. Remember the “rule of thirds”––The key is to place the face in the top corner (can be on the right or the left side) of a photo — and then snap away!
5. Ditch the face–––if a person doesn’t have makeup on or have a bad hair day, a headless selfie is something to consider. Or show outfit of the days.
6. Experiment with different angles–––we all have different sides to click from.
7. Pose with something new––try new things each day.
8. Accessorize–––Sunglasses, caps, scarves are all women’s best friends.
9. Use editing apps–––VSCO and Snapseed are the best editing apps that can take selfies to the next level. It allows a person to adjust colour saturation, temperature, sharpness, and much more!
10. Group selfies–––aka ‘welfie’––for those who are camera shy feels comfortable in clicking welfies.
To read more articles click here.