E-commerce, electronic commerce, online or online commerce: all these terms designate the purchase and sale of goods or services using electronic information technology. The Internet is the virtual technology.
However, other forms of digital data communication and processing, such as mobile telephony, electronic customer records, and accounting software, are also used in this arena.
For a few years, this new approach of trade has known a meteoric success, which is not ready to decrease, and the craze of the consumers is enormous.
This enthusiasm can be explained by all the advantages and all the possibilities offered by online commerce, which allows you to shop while staying comfortably at home.
Thanks to online marketing strategies, it is possible today for a business to be better visible on the Internet and, therefore, to increase its sales.
The concept of electronic commerce.
To better understand the concept of e-commerce, take the example of an online store selling beauty products. This online business functions as a sales platform:
• Potential customers can discover the whole range of products by visiting the site
• When they find the desired product, they can order and pay for their purchase through a secure digital system
• Merchandise management software records the purchase and updates the stock
• An RFID (radio identification) chip makes it possible to track the shipment of the package
• And finally, with a CRM system (customer relationship management), it is easy to answer the questions that the customer asks about the product he has purchased
• These systems make the sales work much more efficiently and therefore increase turnover.
Characteristics of eCommerce:
Ecommerce is the set of actions that allow you to process an order, manage purchase and sale on the Internet, all administered through computer databases and specific software.
• The goal of a business is to improve its sales process to get more money into its cases. To do this, it seeks at all costs to reduce the associated expenses.
• The Internet has enabled businesses to acquire new sales tunnels through online stores, merchant sites, market platforms such as Amazon, and auction platforms such as eBay.
• Through e-commerce, customers can quickly find the right item for them while sitting in their living room or using their smartphone while on public transit.
• Online commerce even allows a merchant to do business without a physical store and save on rental space. Also, it can distribute its offers over the Internet without having to pay a single euro in shipping costs, and it can reach a larger number of customers.
The importance of e-commerce for business
The benefits of electronic commerce are undeniable for a business. Thanks to dedicated applications that require few resources, it is possible to offer an excellent user experience to visitors.
Among all the advantages, some demonstrate how a company can no longer do without it if it wants to stay in the race.
E-commerce allows a business to reduce its operating costs. Many sales platforms allow you to quickly create and launch a visually appealing and responsive design online business.
Thanks to its platforms, the merchant has all the tools necessary for the complete management of his commercial activity, such as taking charge of payments, stock management, and shipping.
The major trends in e-commerce today
The trend is clear. Ecommerce has a radiant future ahead of it. The act of shopping online, which was still exceptional some time ago, has now become an almost daily gesture for many people. As a result, e-commerce will continue to gain in importance, thanks to advances and future designs.